Lessons learned

I believe one of my earliest posts on this blog encouraged us all to spend time intentionally reflecting while we are working remotely. I encouraged you to think about what you learn about yourself, others, and your work. I asked you to consider what aspects of a "normal" work environment you might NOT want to go back to once we return to our physical campus. 

I have spent some time reflecting on that in the last few weeks as the discussion of return to work policies, procedures, and training has been circulating more often. It has prompted me to consider what lessons I have learned during my time working remotely. 

Here are a few of my lessons learned: 
  • No commute > a commute - when we consider the process of physically travelling to work, there is a lot of time invested. I have tried to be very intentional about using that time for something worthwhile, though I am not always successful.
  • It is possible to do most of my job remotely. I knew this before I came home, but it has been reinforced for me repeatedly. I can achieve levels of productivity that I couldn't before.
  • It is also NOT the same. The world is not the same now and neither is my job. It may only be a version of "same" when I get back. I am sure most of you share this feeling. 
  • Going outside is so important. On a "normal" workday I would be going in and out of the building, probably walking on campus, maybe even into a store or the gym. Here, it is just me and my house. And as much as I love it, it has been an effort to keep it from feeling like a vault some days. 
  • It is possible to feel two exact opposite ways about the same situation at the same time. When "return to work" is bandied around, I find myself feeling equal measures of fear and excitement. I am truly looking forward to being around people again, to wearing "real" clothes and the rhythm of a workday. I miss the human connection. I also like my cozy office with a window, yoga pants, and peace and quiet.  
Perhaps one of the most salient points of this for me has been the idea that all things are a balance. Work life and home life are a balance, even when you are working in your home. Together time and alone time are a balance, whether you are living alone or surrounded by family. Balance is needed in how much we require of our minds; we must balance constant availability with time to empty our minds. Our emotional and psychological well-being needs balance. From one day to the next my mood can shift dramatically and I must work to bring it back into healthy alignment. Physical health is a balance. You cannot neglect yourself and expect to feel good. 

What have you learned? I am very interested in your reflections so share them in the comments! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gimme a break!

Find your gratitude anchors

The world is weird...